Monday, February 8

Wisdom

As always, thank you guys for your kind words and encouragement. If I can't be sane, at least I have you to help keep my feet under me.

I am really trying hard to not think about the whole EP/match/baby-right-around-the-corner situation. Why? Because it is SO hard to not question everything and come up with, like, nine different reasons that each part of this ISN'T going to work. Those darn what-if monsters are really nipping at my heels and I am finding it very challenging to move forward instead of getting sucked into their trap.

A couple of thoughts, however:
  • I realized over the weekend that as joyful as I am that we are going to be growing our family, I am so very sad for our EPs. Not in a pity sort of way at all, but it makes my heart ache to even think about how this might feel (which of course I am only projecting) for them and how difficult the days and weeks and months after the birth may be for them. They may not be difficult, like I said I'm only projecting my emotions onto them, but I imagine they will be. And so I am finding this whole thing to be very, very bittersweet.
  • I think I might also be terrified that in what will soon be less than 3 weeks, I may be a momma. That is starting to set in and I even got nauseous just thinking about it today.
  • BigTex said two things this weekend that have stuck with me--once again emphasizing how much better he is handling this than I am. When talking to his dad who was saying he was really hoping this all worked out for us, BigTex responded, "Well, we have no reason not to think it will." Matter-of-fact. Straight up. I really think he believes that and I wondered quietly to myself why I was looking for reasons that this will fall through instead of rejoicing in the fact that there is NO evidence that it will. My hubby is a smart man, I tell you.
  • Second thing BigTex said was when talking with his mom, she asked about us getting to know our EPs and he responded, "Well it's not like we need to be best friends with them." I realized that he's right and even though I feel this overwhelming need to PROVE to them that they made the right pick and to show that we are going to be the best parents, I don't have to. I don't need to build the entire framework of our open adoption before the baby comes. I don't need to obsess about whether they like us or trust us or feel comfortable with us when we talk. They must like us (because they picked us) and who says we aren't allowed to feel a tad awkward about the whole process. It IS unusual and it IS hard on everyone. Again, BigTex is very smart.

So I am now trying not to freak out that they haven't emailed us back since Friday--I know they are super busy trying to get ready to move to a new place and they had company this weekend. I am trying to get over myself...which is proving harder than I would have thought. Am I really this self-centered? Kidding...sort of.

Thanks again. You, my bloggy friends, rock.

5 comments:

K said...

Your fears are normal! But its good you have someone to help balance you out and give you the reassurance you need. It must be scary that so little time remains but you can do it.

Hurdles of Life said...

I have to be honest.. I love the fact that you are even considering their feelings. It takes a strong person to have empathy towards another. And all that means is that you are thinking about what's best for the baby.

Keep your chin up "momma".

Jennifer VBK said...

I just wanted you to know that I am totally feeling your "pain". We just got matched and he's due March 23, but is expected way earlier than that. I'm in major panic mode and can't believe that this actually might be happening. I, too, feel sad to know that pain that our EP will feel and sometimes, it makes me feel guilty.
Just know that you're not alone. I'd love to chat with you through email.

Hilary said...

I can NOT imagine what it must be like for you, to be so close, to feel so worried, to be so heartbroken for EP. I think I would be feeling the same way, just much more anxious!

Just Believing said...

"I realized over the weekend that as joyful as I am that we are going to be growing our family, I am so very sad for our EPs. Not in a pity sort of way at all, but it makes my heart ache to even think about how this might feel (which of course I am only projecting) for them and how difficult the days and weeks and months after the birth may be for them."

5 months later I still feel this and think it will never change! That being said I find peace in knowing they placed with us we didn't take anyone or anything they made a plan to give their baby the best life possible and entrusted you to be part of that plan and THAT is a beautiful thing!